Friday, January 2, 2015

Vecka Sjutton [Week 17]

Gott nytt år, och bra fortsättning! [Happy new year, and a good continuation!]

This week was crazy good.  I'm not sure really when the last time I wrote was because it seems like months ago.  We have seen some really cool miracles out here.  First, we went tracting in this area that I've never been in before, and neither had my companion.  No door we knocked was ready for the gospel yet, but we got a couple great street contacts, who were friends with members and prepared to start learning more soon.  Then we went and taught another street lesson to a lady who was so prepared that she's already wet and wearing white (metaphorically).  She's had a really rough life, and knows that God is there, loves her, and that there's a life after this, and that the spirits of dead people who were close to us are here watching over us now.  I'm not sure very many other churches believe in a spirit world on earth besides us.  On Monday we taught a lesson to a Spanish family, and I was able to bear a few simple words of my testimony in Spanish (thanks to a little preparation and a Spanish family I taught a few weeks ago), and the Spirit was crazy strong there.  Their son is getting baptized for sure in about 7-19 years.  He's just a baby now, but It's gonna happen.  They are all so prepared, but it's really hard for them with how stubborn the man is in his beliefs.  He's not too far from the truth though, so he'll get there without a problem.

I got a haircut, but I had my haircutter (companion) cut it too short in the front, so now I can't really do my hair.  Kinda random, but incase anyone was wondering, that's how it is.  It's alright though because the difference between a too short haircut and a good one is two weeks tops.  More street lessons happened.  We met quite a few prepared people this week, which is funny because this time of year (25-31) is called Mellandags (middle-time).  People basically have nothing to do so they sit home and watch movies, eat food, and go on vacation.  Tracting doesn't work because Swedes don't like being interrupted when they eat or watch movies, or they're on vacation, and street contacting is hard because no one's outside, it's -12-18 with a ton of humidity.  "the only one crazy enough to be out in [that] weather is [us. Us and that fellow].  Yoo hoo!"  Big winter blowout, save your life eternally and your family's!  But we got good results for the circumstances.  The Lord really blesses you as you seek first His kingdom.

People at this time love to give missionaries candy.  I wonder why?  We have a ton of candy, so much that the only accurate description I could give of how much it is, is enough to make a fat man sick by looking at it.  We have boxes of chocolates, bowls of chocolates and mints, cookies, cakes, and baked goods [more than one can count]!  And then last night for New Year's Eve we each received a box of chocolates from some members, and a couple bags of American candy.  It's so much that I think we will still have it when my next companion leaves this area.  Transfer calls come in this Saturday, so we'll see if I'll be moving as well.  It also finally got cold here.  It was -13 with really high humidity so it felt a lot colder than -18 in Utah Valley (which really isn't too bad).  I finally had to break out my long johns for a half-day.  Still don't need a better coat though.

The language is coming along fantastically here, a lot of people here don't realize I'm not Scandinavian or even European.  I've got a huge stack of flashcards I've been going through, and many other great language study activities placate my day (not sure if that's the right word, but it works in Swedish).  I hope everyone's having a great time back home.  The Church is true, and the scriptures too.  I had a cool experience while reading the Old Testament, because a lot of the things in there are really weird.  I finally put it all together as the tabernacle is announced in Exodus, and it makes sense now.  The Old Testament is the old covenant and law, while the New Testament is the new covenant and law.  If we live by the teachings of our Savior Jesus Christ as contained in the standard works we will receive the blessing of the New Testament, being able to return to the presence of God and live happily with our families forever.  That's the beauty of the gospel and the Church.  It's simple.  If you do what's right, listen to what makes sense, then you will return to God and be happy forever.  If not, you reap what you sow.  (D&C 6)  Keep the commandments and be happy.  Look up and live!  I love you all.

Mvh,

Äldste Liddle

No comments: