Monday, May 22, 2017

Week One

It's time for the fourth and final (for this generation) version of the Elder Liddle blog.

Elder Jacob Walker Liddle was set apart by his father to serve as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on May 16, 2017.  On May 17, we took him to the MTC.  First we stopped by the Outback Steak House and had a delicious lunch.  (And got our 10% AARP discount.  Melody is incredulous that she's a card-carrying member of AARP, but she is.  Deal with it, honey.)  Elder Liddle spilled fry sauce on his favorite purple tie and so his mother told him to change it, and she'd dry clean it and send it to him for his birthday (which is today).  Elder Liddle did express the feeling that the Awesome Blossom is aptly named.

Elder Liddle will be in the MTC for six weeks (he's learning Spanish) and will then head to the Ohio Cincinnati Mission.

Melody received an email from the new missionary the afternoon of the 17th.
Well, I'm here and they showed us a video and stuff and now I get to email you.  I have an iPad for the MTC, so that's cool.  They all speak Spanish to us, and that's also fun.  The guys in my class seem pretty cool so far, and I think my companion is a cool guy.  There are 3 of us, but I've only met Elder Loutensock.  It's great here and I love it!  It feels good and right.  Thinking about it the Spirit is just super strong here.  It's really cool.  Oh, and I already saw my FHE sister, Sister Robinson here haha.  It was weird, especially because I forgot her last name.  It's gonna be great!  I'm super happy, y yo voy a aprender mucho!  I'll work on that and maybe I'll write in Spanish :)  Anyway, I don't know what else to say.  I might want more running shorts that are longer, we'll see what happens.  My scriptures should be fine for now especially since I have an iPad.  That's still weird to me haha.
Then on his P-Day (Saturday), Elder Liddle sent the following.
Well, it's been 3 days now.  Stuff is pretty good, I have 2 companions and it's weird to be in a trio.  We started doing stuff in Spanish from day one, and we also started teaching from day one.  We have an investigator and it was super hard to teach him in Spanish.  I can usually understand everything but I can't speak well yet.  I'm doing very well with the language though.  My zone is awesome, we have a ton of fun, and they are all super cool.  They had a funeral for some guys pants the other day, it was hilarious.  We get an hour and a half every night before bed, and the first half hour of that is typically us having fun together.  I saw sister Doxey here, so that was cool.  Today we went to the temple with our zone and had breakfast there after, and it was so delicious.  The MTC food is good, but the temple food is way better.  Going to the temple itself was a huge blessing.  We are pretty stressed because we have another lesson tonight that we are kinda confused to prepare for.  They don't tell us what we are supposed to do all the time.  We are learning fast I guess.  Another thing, four square is super fun.  It's also really intense, which surprised me.  Gym time was amazing, it's so nice to work out and just have fun together.  Also, I've had some weird dreams, and that's coming from me.  I like it here a lot.  Yeah, I guess that's it.  Stuff is fun.  I'll try to get pictures, but apparently we do that at the temple on Sundays.  We do a temple walk.  Oh, and I'm the district leader too, so that's a thing.  I'll send a selfie of us.  Elder Shuman is the one with brown hair.
And in another email:
Oh, and if anyone asks, and this can go with the general email, if they want to send food send things like drinks and snacks. I'm thirsty a lot, and I don't always want water. But that's just if they are sending anything, there are vending machines if I really want something. Though we only get 6 dollars per week for everything, including laundry and such, so that doesn't go super far. Good thing I have lots of savings, I'm starting to understand why I do.
We'll post contact information for Elder Liddle later.  We look forward to many more posts in this blog series as we share in the experiences of (the most recent) Elder Liddle.

Hugs and kisses,

- Dad



Look, Ma -- no fry sauce stain!


No comments: