Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Vecka Åtta [Week 8]

Käre Familj och Vänner,

Sweden is cold!  The ironic thing is on the first day of winter, it got pretty warm.  Warm enough that I didn't wear a coat, and was warm!  There have been a lot of questions about the weather, so I'll see if I can accurately describe it.  When It's dark, it's cold.  When it's cloudy it's cold, and probably raining.  When it's not either of those, it's probably between 10-11 when the sun just rose, and we are inside finishing up study.  The wind is not super crazy here, but it's constant, and blowy.  Not Texas panhandle blowy, but blowy like a really windy day in Utah, constantly, with bursts that are harder.  For the most part I wear a winter coat, scarf, gloves, and only my nose gets cold.  Not much I can do about that though.  One day this week was cold enough that I had to break out my thermal bottoms and wool socks though.  Just think though, it's only October, and the sun is up for maybe 8 hours, and I'm starting to break out the thermals.  I'm excited!  Basically, it's cold, dark, and wet almost always here.

That was kinda gloomy, so here comes some great news:  I got a baptismal date!!!!  After that first day of breaking out the thermals, and it raining on us all day, our main teaching appointment fell through, no one was outside, and the people who we tried to tract to all were gone, we met a big black guy on our way back to go home early and just make calls.  He's about 6'3", and probably weighs 230 lbs.  I could be wrong about that though, I'm not sure how big he is.  We taught him the first lesson right there on the street, gave him a Book of Mormon in Swedish, showed him Gospel Library (since he is better with English and we didn't have a Book of Mormon in English with us) and invited him to church.  He accepted all that and his baptismal date is Nov. 15.  We didn't get his phone number, but got his address, so we could contact him, the only problem is, his mom is Muslim, and he works and goes to school, so we don't know when he'd be home to drop by.

That's another interesting thing about Sweden.  I feel like in most countries, they teach people primarily who are of the nationality of the country they are in.  Our teaching pool has 5 Muslims, 1 Christian from a Muslim family, and 1 guy who's been taught since 2005, and a Church of Sweden couple, who are really fun.  3:1 ratio of born in/outside the country.

That last couple I spoke of isn't allowed to pray vocally.  We initially thought they weren't allowed to pray at all, but after having a 20 minute lesson on prayer, we discovered that they are only allowed to pray silently, or writtenly, except for in church where they can recite prayers from their book.  They only speak Swedish, so my companion had me call them (as practice) and invite them to church.  They told me they were going to their church, so I tried to set up a time we could meet either that day, or later in the week.  She said that they needed to wait and think/ponder things before they could come to church with us.  Apparently though she didn't say that, she said that they need to wait and think/ponder things for a month, then we could meet with them again.  I kept trying to set up an appointment, then my companion heard what I was missing, and finished the call.  We're pretty sure they got a testimony of the Book of Mormon though and got freaked out because that's a change of life completely, since they are active, and he works for the Church of Sweden, and would lose his job if he converts.

One of the other Muslim investigators is really cool, He and his brother own a store, both are investigating, but have one problem: they don't believe that Christ atoned for our sins.  They said that probably the only difference between Muslims and Mormons is their book they add to the Bible, and the accepting of Christ as the Savior.  I agree pretty well with that statement, since they are some of the most God-fearing people I've met out here, and they always accept all but Christ of what we teach them readily like they know and live it.  They just need to read the Book of Mormon though (read the title page and introduction if you're curious how that will solve the problem).

The members here are wonderful!  They are so much fun to be around, make funny jokes, and are so loving and  accepting of everyone!  They also all cook really good food, which is a bonus when they invite us over.  I love it out here!  The language is hard, but for the most part I can understand people.  Swedes are often very stubborn, but the open ones are wonderful, and the stubborn ones are kind and loving.  I don't think I could've gotten a better mission call!  This place is wonderful!  Jesus Christ is our Savior.  If there's one thing I've had reaffirmed to me this week, it's that.  While teaching that one shop owner, all his questions made us think more and more about how wonderful it is to know that Christ atoned for our sins, and we have Him as our Savior.  We did a week of saying only gratitude prayers this week, and boy that was hard, but I'd say it was necessary.  We received almost one baptismal date per companionship, with some receiving more, and had tons of referrals, new investigators, and a baptism!

The thing in Sweden that makes it hard to be a member is the abundance of anti material.  It exists all around the world, but Swedes have a way of finding it, and it is poison.  If you don't want to catch on fire, stay away from the fire.  It's as simple as that.  If you do get burned on accident though, there is a remedy.  Pray and read the scriptures, and words of living prophets.  You will never know what your answer is unless you search for it and try to recognize it.  Keep working hard out there, and don't ever doubt that Jesus is your Savior, and not only does He love you, but God [Heavenly Father] loves you, and with all power He blesses you.

Med Kärlek,

Äldste Liddle

No comments: