Monday, October 20, 2014

Vecka Sju [Week 7]

Kär Familj och Vänner [Dear Family and Friends],

The word Handen literally translates to "the hand," so I was born in The Hand.  The ward here is nicknamed "The Utah Ward" because we get a lot of member dinners, and once upon a time a few years ago, there were a lot of member referrals, and the missionaries were always busy teaching the member's friends, and the members.  Now it's not quite so good though.  We still get a lot of member dinners, but the area has been split in half, and we got the half with less people willing to learn, but the few that do are usually either Muslim, which makes it hard to teach about Christ but easy to teach about everything else, or devout Swedish Church goers, which is also hard since they can't pray out loud and work for the church, so converting would cost them their job.  It's good though, because the members are all wonderful people, Sweden's beautiful, and the people even when they're in a hurry are pretty nice to us.  The meanest thing that has happened so far is a guy heard we were missionaries and said, "inte interesserad" (not interested) and walked away, so I'd say Sweden's a nice place overall.

My companion and I decided to talk Swedish from 9-9 (from companionship study until planning) but then we just got in the habit of talking Swedish with each other, so it became more of a 24/7 thing.  It's been crazy because I'll wake up from jetlag, probably, at 1-2 am and start thinking of investigators and talking, maybe outloud, in Swedish to myself about them and how I can help them, how to find people better, and just a bunch of stuff that is cool, but makes me way tired in the morning.  The language is coming along miraculously well.  I understand a lot of what people say, and understood everything in my first lesson, and a lot of church.  A couple people thought I was from Norway, not USA!  Apparently I speak with a more Norwegian accent.  There's still tons of work that needs to be done on my language, but all in all, it's going well.

The weather... is different than I expected.  We're close to Stockholm, so not that far north, and no mountains, but it is cold.  It doesn't look that cold, but from morning to night the temperature stays pretty much the same, a cold humid dark area.  I've only not needed my coat a few times here, and often want my gloves and scarf.  It's awesome though because I don't get sweaty like I would've in any South/Central American area.

I live in an apartment with my zone leaders (Zac Efron, and the skinny Chris Farley who can sing tenor well enough to be in a movie) and my companion.  It's so awesome because we all have fun together.  The one who looks like Zac is a fun guy, who has a ukulele, and loves to have fun.  The one who looks like Chris Farley sings every day, and we love it.  We have the sheet music to Homeward Bound, Come Thou Fount, and the hymns, so we do a lot of fun songs, and arrange things as a group.  We have a guitar, piano, ukulele, and four good singers.  On Sunday for ward conference we sang an arrangement of "O Hur Skön var Morgonstunden" [O How Lovely Was the Morning] which was to the tune of Come Thou Fount but the last verse we slowed down the first line, emphasizing "Joseph.... Hur min Son!" which is us singing the words God spoke (kind of, but Swedish version).  It sounds really cool, and the Spirit was really strong there.  We found another one that we'll have a soloist do for zone conference this week.

We have a potential investigator who looks promising.  He's been taught since 2005, and hasn't received an answer yet, but I am hopeful.  I think this will be the one.  It's crazy how as you love someone, and pray for them how strong the Spirit comes to you, and how much you learn.  I've received so many answers to prayers out here, and the Spirit is so strong.  It's crazy how much fun I'm having out here because It's all work, and I'm always tired, but I love it.  It's the best thing ever.

Remember it's not the missionaries' work, it's not the members' work, It's the Lord's work.  He allows us all to help though, so look for the opportunities that are all around you.  Be bold and open your mouth.  Even if you don't spread the word, spread the light.  That is what makes the biggest difference, so spread your light.  Be an example of the believers, and use the spirit of love and courage and power God has given all of us.

Med Kärlek,

Äldste Liddle

No comments: