Monday, April 13, 2015

Vecka Trettiotvå [Week 32]

Hejsan! 

This week flew by pretty fast!  Elder DeMordaunt and I did lots of great things this week, and really had fun doing some great missionary work.  I also found out why I've gained weight out here.  Proverbs 28:25 "but he that putteth his trust in the Lord shall be made fat."  Just kidding.  We decided we're going to start running this week though since when I show people pictures of me at the MTC they say, "whoa, you were skinny!"  I've also been eating a lot healthier with Elder DeMordaunt since he taught me some tasty healthy foods.

So we got to see the rest of General conference, and I really liked it.  I can't wait to go back and review all the talks in my studies these upcoming weeks and months.  We wanted to do a lot of area book work this week, and so I created this awesome spreadsheet list of all our old and potential investigators that we haven't already gotten in contact with, and we just started swinging by them and calling them all.  We got in contact with only a few, but there were lots of great people in the areas that we were able to add to that potential investigator list.

We taught a lady from El Salvador whose whole family are members, but she left right as they started going to church, and hasn't had close contact with them since.  She was really prepared, and had lots of great questions, and seems really positive.  Sadly she works a ton with uncertain hours, so we don't know when we can meet again, but she is taking this Sunday off so she can come to church, and wants to meet with us and learn more.  It's really funny because their door says, "Vi tar inte emot besök av Jehovahs Vittnen" (we don't accept visits from Jehovah's witnesses).  We saw that our first time, and I looked at Elder Sheldon (on splits that day) and said, "Well, that's not us, let's knock it."  It was really cool.  Apparently they have been waiting for us to knock on our door, since she's wanted to talk to us, but hasn't, and she didn't know why.

We met some really cool guys from Uganda that live with a Muslim guy, and had a really great discussion with them.  They should be coming to church this week.  We had a lot of run-ins with all sorts of Islamic people.  One invited us in, made us food and got us something to drink, and wanted to learn more about the Book of Mormon, but there was a big language barrier, so we got him one in his language, and will follow-up.  It was really cool.  We also met another guy who really was curious about prophets, and how we have a living prophet today.  Then there was one who told me he wasn't religious, then he said something about him being Muslim, so I asked him if he was religious again, and he said no, so I asked if he believed in God, and he said, Yes, I'm Muslim.  It was weird.  Then one we contacted on the street asked if we followed Christ, and we said we did, and he said he did too.  Then he asked if we believed Christ was the Son of God, and we said He is.  He went on to try to tell us that the Bible has changed since no one has the whole thing memorized, but wouldn't listen when we told him that the Bible had changed, and tried to introduce the Book of Mormon.  He stayed really closed so we tried to just leave, because we were running late to an appointment, but he really wanted to argue with us and tell us we were wrong for things we didn't believe in, and as we are walking away he says, "you're following the devil way!  The devil way!"  There are lots of Islamic people here, but for the most part they are very nice and hospitable people like those first two.

I took my companion to Zack's for his first time, and it was good as always.  We ran out of a lot of time to eat this week, so it was pretty nice to have a meal that was quick and tasty.  Then on Thursday we had a taco party with a Zone Training.  It was really good.  The tacos were just OK (not spicy either), but the training was really good about study.  My favorite thing about study I learned this week is this: "For you to grow in the gospel and stay on the path that leads to eternal life, you need to develop a habit of gospel study" (Preach My Gospel ch. 2).  Regular gospel study is vital for activity and growth in the church as well as personal growth.  That Thursday after zone training we got back to our area just in time to go teach one of our investigators, then have institute, then teach our baptismal date investigator, and had microwave pizzas for dinner when we got back that night.  It was an incredible day, and this week we have two more set up that are just as packed.

We've been working more with less-actives out here, and things are going great.  We have multiple that have become active since I've been here, and a couple more that are on their way.  One of them had a birthday this week, so we were over there with her and her friends for a homemade cake.  It was really good.  We now have one coming to football on Saturdays along with an active member, and the group of non-members.  I did pretty good this week.  I'm getting better with all this great practice.

Church was really great, and we had a packed Sunday, but somehow were able to manage our unplanned contacts goal (people who we see on the street and talk to about the gospel between appointments) even with the heavy rain.  We taught a cool Ukrainian guy who might be moving to Austria for a job in software development.  He and I get along really well with how much we have in common.  The Delgados decided to spoil us that night with a home-cooked salmon dinner.  It was really good.

The work is really hastening out here.  It's incredible how much work there is to do out here, and how lucky we are to be able to take part in it.  I love being out here on a mission.  It's such a great experience, and I can't think of a better way to show God my love for him and others.  The gospel really helps us solve all our problems, and is the true source of happiness.

Have a wonderful week everyone!

-Äldste Liddle

No comments: