Hej från Höjden! ["Hello from Height!" There's an idiom here that we're missing. -- Ed.]
This is a really interesting experience. I am sitting at a computer writing my last email home, with a wide range of emotions simultaneously. Happiness for the things that I have done this week and this past time. Excitement for the upcoming welcoming and the challenges and joys that come in the future. Satisfaction from the feeling that I have done all that I can do, and have fought the good fight. Sadness to leave behind hundreds of people who I have grown to love. Sadness to move away from people who I have helped to change their lives and come closer to Christ. To leave those people who I have had the pleasure of introducing to their Savior, and allowing them to take the necessary steps to bring their lives in harmony with the gospel and teachings of our Savior. Sadness to know that all this good that I have been able to do will no longer be something that I daily will experience, since I cannot continue to be a full-time servant of the Lord. But a feeling of drive in realizing that no matter if I'm set apart or not, I am called to be a witness of God at all times and in all things and all places. A feeling of commitment to always strive to be better in that calling every day. To always seek the glory of God, and then trust that all things shall be added thereafter. This has been the one of the few good things that I have done in my life that actually matters. This was my chance to really be like Christ. I am going to miss that.
This week we had a wonderful lesson with a lady who wants to be baptized. She feels fairly strongly that the Church is good, as well as the Book of Mormon, but is not ready for baptism yet. She does believe though that as she meets with us, comes to church and keeps her commitments that she will receive that feeling that baptism is for her. And she wants to feel it. I have no doubt that she will feel that soon. They have had a hard time recently in this ward developing friendships between less-actives and active members and investigators. This lady and her husband hosted a party on Saturday with several members who are both active and less-active, as well as a few non-members. It was a wonderful time, and we were not able to stay for the whole thing, but I felt so happy to see the joy in everyone's faces, and the friendships that were formed.
We also had the privilege to go on splits this week with the elders in Uppsala. I was with Elder Porter, and we worked really hard together. We didn't have many lessons set up, but we talked with everyone we could, and I talked to someone on every bus or train we got onto. We saw a lot of positive and negative people that day, and were both super happy at the end of the day, despite a lack of visual success. We felt the fulfillment of working hard in the service of the Lord.
It's been a good week of hard work. It was sad to say good-bye to all the members here, but they are in good hands, since they are in the Lord's. I trust my companion and the missionaries who will be here to take care of the people here, as well as the missionary force in all of Sweden to take care of the people here. President Beckstrand is an inspired leader, and has helped me to reach my potential. He has done that for many missionaries. I'm so grateful I got to serve with him and many other outstanding inspired men and women. I know that this Church is true. I do not doubt it a bit. I know that miracles happen today, and that the priesthood power is real.
Med vänlig hälsning, [Sincerely, -- or literally "With friendly greeting,"]
Äldste Liddle
No comments:
Post a Comment