Monday, July 3, 2017

Semana Siete: 51st State of the Union

Well, I'm here, and they sent me to Kentucky. If you look at the map of my mission, basically everything that is in Kentucky is my area. Utah is super flat by the way, there are no mountains but everything is a hill! It's like the whoop-dee-doos in Lindon, but everywhere. Also it's not super dry, but that's kind of nice.

The trip here was really fun! I was able to talk to a family on the plane, and I was mostly just talking with them about life and everything, but I was able to give them a pamphlet at the end, so hopefully they look at it a bit. It was good experience to talk to people. Then we stayed at the mission home, and it was honestly kind of weird, but when I looked out the window I knew that I would love this area. The people here are very different, and it's hilarious. It's super beautiful here, it's really hilly and green everywhere. I'm in the Ohio River branch right now, which ironically is in Kentucky. Basically all of Kentucky that's in our mission is my area.

My trainer is Elder Tapia. He's from Florida and his parents are Chilean, so he's fluent in Spanish. He's super chill. We went out and spent some time with a few members around here. It looks like a lot of the work is reactivation. The members are all super nice. It's awesome! They feed us dinner every day, and the food is always really good. On Wednesday, they gave me a whole fish! Like with the head and everything! I couldn't eat most of the head because it's all bone, but the rest of it was super delicious. I haven't had a bad meal so far, except maybe some weird breakfasts where we just eat whatever we have.

So a lot of areas have cars here, and they talked about that our first day. Guess who was the only one to raise their hand when we were asked who didn't want to drive? Guess who was the only one who is going to be driving while training? Elder Tapia doesn't have a license, so I'm driving. I don't actually mind it though, it's turned out to be pretty nice. But I thought that was a nice ironic thing again.

It was crazy a few days ago, we were getting lunch and I ran into Chad Best! Apparently he and his wife are doing summer sales out here. So that was fun.

Oh, and Dad was totally right about me needing to adjust to the speed that people talk, I can only understand about 60% of stuff, and I miss a lot of words that are important to get the meaning. It's getting better, but slowly, especially because the younger people seem to prefer English, so I'm usually speaking English. The culture is also super different. Hispanic people are a lot more chill and relaxed, like they are never in a hurry.

Also, no one answers their doors. We have tried to visit a lot of people but no one is home I guess. Or they just ignore the door. I've been able to meet a few people, but everyone works a lot and they are never home.

We do service sometimes. We helped a guy mow his lawn and I learned what sweat really is.

Well, I'm super scattered right now. It's been a pretty crazy week, and a lot of good has happened, but I'm also still trying to adjust. It's much more of a culture shock than I was expecting. This email is getting waaaaay too long, so I'm going to call it quits now. There is a ton of stuff going on, and it's been busy. I'm still looking up, and I'm super blessed to be out here. I'm starting to get a lot more understanding now. It's been good for me.

Elder Liddle

No comments: