Sunday, September 10, 2017

Semana Quince: A Letter to Mom and Dad

[Insertions by the Editor in square brackets]

[Dear Mom, La Bellísima, and Dad, El Guapo,]

The stake people here usually have a member translate or the president translated his talk, and it made me think of you, and how much fun you would probably have visiting the people and using your Spanish.  [Yes, it would be lots of fun.]
We were interpreting for a part-member family as they did registration and things for their daughter going into first grade, just like Alice! I've met a lot of kids her age. It was a really cool experience to be able to serve them, and I'm really hoping that the dad will start progressing more as an investigator soon. It was weird being in the school though. Everyone seemed to think we were some sort of officials haha. That also happens at Target a lot, and most stores actually. It's hilarious.
As far as the story with my wallet, I called the TANK (Transit Authority of Northern Kentucky) lost and found again, and this time I had a little thought of a better way to describe it, because it's not a normal wallet, and they had it! We weren't able to pick it up until Thursday, and my cards are cancelled, but I really wanted to have that wallet. I think Julie gave it to me, or Mom. It also had my recommend, insurance cards, and my bus pass. Now we can finally travel again! It's still quite the trek to get to some areas we go to, but it's a lot easier when I can use the bus! When I lost my wallet I had the feeling that I would get it back if I just kept working hard, and now I've got it! I'm really happy about that.
Before we got our bus passes back, we did a TON of area book work. We've been going through, getting rid of names of people who've moved, and organizing the information. I think we've got it set up pretty well now haha. Now we just have to go out and contact a huge list of names, but hey, now we have specific places to go! It's so awesome!
In our district meeting, President Welch showed up and answered a few questions we had, and then he proceeded to give what I now call "The Chastening." He basically told us what's up, and how to be better missionaries. There were a lot of habits that were perpetuated from some older missionaries, and he wanted to get rid of a lot of them. He also told us to follow the rules more conservatively, more exactly. He straight up told us that he would rather have us be exactly obedient and not baptize anyone while we are out here than the opposite. It was really cool stuff, and though it was hard to hear, he did it in a way that helped us feel the Spirit, and I was so happy in hearing it! I thought I was doing pretty good, but now I know that I can get so much better! I'm still very far from a great missionary in my eyes, but I'm on the right path. Even if it makes no sense, seems less efficient, or maybe even seems like it would hinder us, we need to follow the rules exactly. We spent a good chunk of time fixing a lot of things that were happening and working on how to improve even more.
We also have been doing some good work proselyting, we talk to American people a bit more now, and we found out we can actually teach them to start off! So it's been fun, we get to invite a lot more people, and we meet so many of them, and they are so cool! One guy we found by giving him and his friend our 2 leftover slices of Little Caesar's, and it was so fun!
We also have improved our planning drastically. In the moment I said something like, "We're just planning on how to plan on how to plan on how to plan!!" We needed to do that planning haha, but now we have a system so that our weekly planning is more efficient, and so is our daily planning. It's been working very well :)
Now we have the "spanish district" which is basically we get an extra meeting to talk about a few things that are different for us. Mostly the work is the same, but I love the trainings we get. President Welch was there for that meeting too, so we got "The Chastening: Part 2." It was really good actually, and that's when we got permission to work with people who don't speak Spanish for more than just passing them off to the English elders. It was such a good meeting. We also had cake for Elder Whatcott's and Green's birthdays! It was nice to have that. :)
Saturday was the jewel of the week, we did so much good work! We met so many awesome people, and we finally got some return appointments, and it was just so fun! So many people talked to us too, one guy just asked if either of us were from Utah, I said I was, and he thanked us and said he won a bet haha. It was great. An old investigator even called us to set an appointment! It was really awesome, and we were totally supported by the Spirit.
Also, one guy gave us $40! We tried to say no, but he shoved it in my shirt pocket haha. It's happened twice now. :) I try to say no at first, but then it's definitely a help.
I also know about 14 hymns now, and I'm the branch pianist, so that's also been a lot of fun.
Well, that's what I've got for now. It's a bit long, but I love being out here, and I want to share it. Thanks for the support I get from you guys.
Love,
Elder Liddle

No comments: