Haha, I'm doing ok. I'm dealing with things very well, I'm learning to manage myself better too. I cook some nights too, I've made lots of muffins and quick bread. Last night I made blueberry muffins from scratch, with fresh blueberries! They were kinda biscuity, I think the recipe I have needs more liquid. Like another egg or something. But they were still super tasty!
We've had a lot of cool experiences this week. We taught a man named S_____, we've been doing a lot of service for him because he really needs it, but every time he asks us to teach him more (so of course we have!) and it's been amazing! He's a really nice person, and he has an extremely favorable outlook on the Church because of the kind of people we are. We also had another lesson with S____/V____, and he is doing alright. He still has lots of doubts, mostly about his ability to connect with God. We also think he might be a little scared, but we're going to work step by step to help him.
We had interviews on Thursday and we talked about "A Successful Missionary" from Preach My Gospel in our district meeting, and I felt a lot of revelation and guidance from it. The training I prepared was basically just a discussion, and I actually had some questions of my own that my district was able to answer through the discussion, it was awesome! Later that day, we were able to visit a less-active member, H____, and I was able to share some personal experiences that I feel really connected with what he is going through. He also ended up coming to Church this week, which was amazing! I think he's starting to progress in the Gospel again, step by step. I guess lately we've been focusing on very foundational things with all of our investigators. Those are the most important things anyway, by small and simple things are great things brought to pass. As one missionary put it, "we just ask you to read a book, and sit in a chair." and I would add prayer to that. Of course there are some significant changes for a lot of people, but basically we just ask people to read, pray, and come to Church. The rest follows quite naturally. One person asked about coffee and was kinda sad that it was bad, but we explained that we could talk more about that later, and if she reads and prays it would all make sense, which it will. I'm excited to share D&C 89:18-21 with her.
It's been awesome. We serve, testify, teach, promise, and we have fun! We have had many good teaching appointments and service opportunities, including clearing out fallen branches, fixing lawn mowers, making muffins, and being a friend. I love it so much.
The highlight has definitely been teaching two girls who have a baptismal date! One is 7 (and turns 8 soon) and the other is 9, and their younger brother usually joins us as well. They're really cute, and they also are progressing really well! The younger girl said her first two prayers on her own in our lesson during the week, and then she told us how she has continued praying to help her read Spanish better and also she prayed while looking for their children's Book of Mormon! She's doing really well, and since then her reading has improved too! Sunday we taught them again and they are starting to understand a lot more about reading, praying, and who Joseph Smith was. They both did really well, and they learned a lot! The last prayer was said by the younger one, who asked to know the Book of Mormon is true; it was beautiful to see that small display of faith! They're young, but they are growing a lot in faith and knowledge. It was amazing to be a part of. Moments like that make everything else worth it, when you hear someone offer their first prayer, and when you hear their desires and feel Heavenly Father's love for them. When I think about that I don't care anymore about the struggles and challenges, I just feel the joy of this great work. I'm still growing closer to God, and though I'm still so far, I feel like God is pleased with me, especially remembering the little moments like that, and the small acts of faith I perform every day. I really need to focus on those small things, because by them are great thing brought to pass.
I love you a lot, have fun at Mike's wedding tomorrow, and thanks so much for all you do! It really uplifts me a lot to hear from you. And that includes the whole family, and friends included!
I'll do the best I possibly can, and if I feel like I can't I'll remember what you said. The Spirit will lead the way for me, I'll have faith, not fear. I will perform every command with exactness.
I pray for you too.
Love,
Elder Liddle
No comments:
Post a Comment