Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Woche Einundzwanzig

Hallo! Transfer calls came in and I thought I was going away, but I'm staying in Nordhausen. Elder Anderson will be a Zone Leader in Heidelberg, and Elder Lewis from Springville (I think) comes in from Werdau (as east as the mission goes). I was shocked. Today is my last day with Elder Anderson and we're wearing our matching ties and everything. Yesterday was Pfingsten so we worked instead of P-day. Germans take holidays very differently. It was like a ghost town yesterday. Everyone resting inside their houses. In America holiday means a day to go shopping and go catch up, but that is not how they do it here. It is funny.

It's so good to hear how the family is doing. I'm glad you are enjoying Austria. I wish to come back some time. I'm loving it here, and sounds like things are well with Everyone. Dad, that's awesome you got to give a talk in Church. Mom, it sounds fun to spend time with the kids and all the memories. Rosie, by the way, your graduation announcement pictures were awesome. I loved the Lacrosse one. Mike, it sounds like you're having fun learning some more German. Can you remember things from last time you were in Austria? Jake, the Zoo must have been so cool for you, especially since you love animals so much. That's awesome. Julie, that's a great spiritual experience. I know that the scriptures and prayer have blessed my life so much. I love Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ so much.

So, It was a pretty good last week together with Elder Anderson. I love him a whole lot. I'm really really going to miss him. I'm excited to work with Elder Lewis though because he always looked familiar to me, and now I know why. He's my 3rd companion on my mission, of course! Elder Anderson has been the best trainer ever. He's taught me to work hard, go to the Lord, and be a good missionary. This past week was a struggle and a good challenge. [K____], the man we set a baptismal date, had many fears after learning about the word of wisdom. He is now scared of us since our last visit. I was devastated that he wasn't any longer willing to obey the word of wisdom. I was so frustrated and upset for a couple days. I realized I need to have patience with the man. Hopefully we can meet with him again.

Something Crazy happened this week! We left the mission... I was in the Berlin mission for a couple hours. [F____] is a less active member and loves us so much, and took us to a dentist. After, he drove us out to a portion of the "wall." Then we knew we were outside the mission. We called Präsident Ninow, and I felt the Spirit really strong that I needed to give testimony of obedience to [F____] and how one day I'll stand before God to account to Him. We turned around and got back in. Sunday night we met with [F____] and he was so impressed with our devotion, and said he would start talking to more people for us. I love him and want him to come back to the gospel, but he's not open right now. Sad...

We had dropped an investigator a few weeks ago, [A____], because he wasn't keeping commitments and making progress. We checked back up on him and we laid out the expectations really well, and said if he comes to church the next Sunday we can continue to meet. Much to our surprise he came. There is a new light in him that shows he wants it. We set a baptismal date for the 23rd of July, but we're not sure he understands that fully yet. We'll be doing a Tauf Kalendar with him and help him better understand. Our other main investigator [J____], from [R_____], is seeming to understand and progress quite well. It's hard to meet with him so regularly, but he's diligently reading, coming to church, and we'll set a baptismal date with him this week. It's really exciting to see the change in their lives, and to help them prepare to make beautiful covenants with Heavenly Father and see the joy and happiness flood into their lives.

This week was a pretty hard week, and helped me grow a lot. We knocked on a lot of doors and got rejected and made fun of a lot. People weren't listening. I didn't feel love for the people. I wasn't really finding too much joy in it. I felt like I wasn't becoming a better missionary, I didn't have the Spirit so much, and there were just a lot of challenges. I always say to myself, "I don't just want to see success, I want to be success in the Lord." I was praying about it, and I realized I just need to have the Lord with me. I need to pray more. Pray always and give thanks in all things it says in Mosiah 26. I tried that out and it made things a lot better. I found joy again and I've felt more love for the people. I love life, and the secret to it is to give. When we give and when we serve, we receive, we learn, and we develop. Praying always is a key to success in the life of a missionary. It's cool how the Lord teaches us through trials.

I'm excited to work with Elder Lewis. I'll always do my best. I'll strive to be exactly obedient and be a true disciple of Jesus Christ. I love Jesus Christ, and I know that this is his work. I know that He lives and that He authorizes and empowers me to do His work. I know that Thomas S. Monson speaks the will and word of God. He is a prophet. I know that Heavenly Father hears, and answers our prayers and that he loves all of His children. Christ is the light and life of the world. The only shred of hope we can rely on. He is steadfast and sure. I know that the Book of Mormon is true. I know that God works miracles among His children according to their Faith. Of these things I testify. Im namen Jesu Christi, Amen.

I love you all,

Elder Matthew J. Liddle

No comments: