Monday, September 17, 2012

Woche Siebenundachtzig: Hallo aus Heidelberg [Week 87: Hello from Heidelberg]

Liebe Familie u. Freunde, [Dear family and friends,]

Mom, Thank you so much for the cool package! That was awesome. I enjoyed the beef jerky and I love the american deodorant! I appreciate it a lot. Thank you. It sounds like things are going fairly well. With us it's going pretty well too. This past week was Zone Konferenz. It was really good. All about the Book of Mormon is what we learned. The next couple days I was just pumped up to teach about the book of Mormon. We are using it more. That's so important. After Zone Konferenz I went on an exchange with Elder Siebert. He's German. We met with a man, and Zone Konferenz totally prepared us for the lesson. He said he didn't want to learn more because the Book of Mormon was boring. We read with him, and invited him to really put in His whole effort into it. It was great! After that, we went to catch the Bahn [tram or subway] back home, and we found a man from Nigeria and made an appointment out for the next day. He seemed pretty interested.

On pretty much all of my exchanges we have a first or second lesson with somebody and invite them to baptism, so I was wondering how we would do it with a blank day, but [K____], we felt was the man. The next day we met with him, showed him the church, explained the book of Mormon and Baptism, and invited him to be baptized. He asked us when he could do it. We set a date with him, and it was such a miracle! It was really cool to see someone, who just wants to follow Jesus Christ. He understood authority as well, which is normally very hard for Africans to understand here. That was cool. The excitement has spread somewhat through the Zone too, to just invite. Inviting is always the key step because that's the only way anyone makes progress if they are invited! 

We had another Exchange. I was here in Heidelberg with a Golden, Elder Brown, and it was so awesome! I would tell him to talk with someone on the bahn, and he would, and we just worked hard, and inspired. We also invited our investigator [M____], in his second lesson to baptism on the 20th of Oktober. I felt the Spirit so strong, but [M____] rejected it and just wasn't getting it. He still wants to learn more though, and find out if it's true. I was so excited for how well Elder Brown invited him to baptism, and His hard work and dedication. I love the young new missionaries!

Elder Sommerville and with his Golden Split found an awesome girl named [S___]. She is new here in Heidelberg just starting her study. She is so awesome, and ready and in need of the gospel. She came to Institute the next day, and I asked her afterwards what she thought. She then started crying and she just felt the love of God so strongly. She was touched by the Spirit. We role played and prepared an awesome lesson for her the next day, and it was good, but it wasn't as planned or as good as we wanted. It was still great, and it ended really well. She wants to know if it's true she said. We invited her to baptism, and she just said she would have to really stand behind it. We said yes, and she wants to know if this is the way for her. She came to church yesterday, so did [M____]. And things seem to be going very well! I'm so glad we can give her and others happiness.

Yesterday, church was good and everything, but the most amazing part was taking the sacrament to a member with the Bishop. Bishop Henkel is so busy, so it was good to get some quality time with him. We visited someone who's child is in intensive care, and will most likely not make it. It was so spiritual what we felt there. We discussed about God's plan, and about the Gospel, and the purpose of life. It was truly amazing. I can't describe it with words. I just realized the whole time sitting there, that there are so many people in that hospital who need that comfort and strength, and prayers as well that we need to get in somehow with them. They are the ones ready for change, and ready for the Gospel. We'll see what we can do to bless those who's hands hang down without hope, and fill them with the love of God. That's what Jesus Christ is all about. I am so grateful for Him, and for the restored Gospel. I know that Jesus Christ lives, and that Heavenly Father loves us. He knows us, and through reading in the Book of Mormon, and through His Spirit, He speaks to us.

I love you all, and thanks for your prayers.

Alles liebe, [Love,]

Elder Matthew J Liddle

No comments: