Sunday, June 18, 2017

Week Three

Via email:

I went to the temple again this morning, and I have so many more questions, but I'm getting better at conversing with the Spirit.  It's still difficult though, but the other day it felt like I had a full on conversation.  I love it here so much.  I'm starting to hit a wall of sorts, but I'm pushing through it pretty well.

... It's also super cool that Mike and Dad are doing Alma academy, that was always awesome. Oh, and the sister I home taught came into the MTC this week, that was funny. And this girl who went to EFY with me like 4 or 5 years ago came up and said hi to me because she remembered me haha. Gotta stay focused, but I'm definitely still a boy ;)

Via email:

Stuff is fun here. That's all I got. Actually, I'll try to talk about something. First, I am remembering that I found out there are dress shirts for $20 here, so if the prices are bad elsewhere I could get a couple here. Also, I need a scripture case for my Spanish scriptures, and I could get one of those Central America looking knit ones, but I don't know. I could get a quad for not bad price, but then I need a case for that too. I'm thinking that I want to get my old one, even if it is falling apart, it's functional and it's not like I'll be teaching much in English. Basically I just don't know what to do for a case. Also, could you guys send me some sort of scripture mastery list for the New Testament and the Book of Mormon? I want to memorize them, I just don't know which they are. I kinda think that I could have prepared better, but they have so much good stuff here for pretty cheap. I bought a Spanish pocket hymn book, but it's not super high quality, but it was cheap. Then I found out that the Japanese and German hymn books are way higher quality than the Spanish ones, and they are the same price. It kinda bugged me haha, but I'm mostly over it. I might buy one of those because they are super cheap though, like $4 and I can do both of those languages. I love it here overall, I'm getting pretty good at Spanish, so that's exciting. Well, I've forgotten everything else for the week. Oh, how about our jump rope? I might want that out in the field for exercise, so if that's not super broken then it would be fun. So scripture case advice, scripture mastery, and maybe jump rope. And the temple breakfast is always the best on P days :) So I think I'm good now. We have a TRC investigator and she asks the hardest questions, it's super cool. Things are going well with her though. A couple guys in our zone found out that their investigator was real, and she's actually getting baptized, so cool stuff can happen in here. I like it a lot, but now I'm tired and I don't know what else to write. Keep having fun, and then keep telling me about it! I love it so much.

Love,
Elder Liddle

From a hand-written letter:

Dear Parents,

First I was able to talk to the Gleaves and I was very happy about that.  Thanks for my lineage too, that was nice.  Everything is pretty awesome here.  I’m good enough at foursquare that I get targeted now, and it’s awesome!  I’m learning a ton here, and my teachers are definitely inspired.  It’s hard to get enough sleep, but I’ve only fallen asleep a couple times, and never when it’s important.  I love it here so much, though I miss a couple things of course, but I’m pretty tight with the guys in my zone, and that helps a ton.  I’ve also learned to love being district leader, it’s nice.

We had an English fast, and I did very well but I couldn’t keep it up because several people couldn’t understand me, because they aren’t as great at the language.  That’s okay though, it’s fun to be ahead.  Speaking of that, I’m also working on humility, and I’m getting better, but it’s a hard one.  Selflessness and humility are so important though.  It’s really cool to hear about everything, and I love hearing about cool stuff.  I’m not too homesick, so don’t worry about that.  My companions are from Mapleton and Ohio/Connecticut/Utah/lots of places.  They are a ton of fun, I’ll send more pictures.  Thanks for the b-day stuff, I shared the donuts with everyone and even though I got it after dinner, it was perfect because I fasted until dinner, my first time doing 24 hours.  It was cool.  Oh, and I shook Elder Renlund’s hand.  Umm, I guess I’ll email tomorrow, I’m writing Friday night.  I love you guys.

Love,

Elder Jacob Liddle

P.S. I some times use German/Japanese words/grammar, and it’s hilarious to me.

And from another:

Querido Padre,

Mi studio de lengua es un poco aburrido, entonces yo escribo una letra para practicar y aprender. Me encanta la CCM, es muy divertido y yo aprendo mucho. Yo creo que soy al frente de mi clase, pero no se muchas palabras. He memorizado la Primera Visión y tambien nuestro proposito. No pienso mucho a la casa, pero digo historias de mi familia y mis amigos. Los otres elders in mi sona (zona?) son increíble.

A veces está un poco deficil para mi aqui.  Hoy estudiamos sin maestro para casi 6 horas.  Estudio de compañeros también es difícil en un trio.  Hoy hacimos un ayuno de ingles.  Fue bien, pero ahora (casi 8:00) no hacelo. Ayude unode mis compañeros con algunas cosas, el necesita hablar sobre esos.  Necesito enfocar a otras personas.  Es mejor para mi. Ahora, yo pienso que yo estudiará sobre otras cosas, pero yo voya dar este a usted con mis otras letras esta semana.

Tu hijo,

Elder Jacob Liddle

[You can see that he's using English constructions still, but is showing some pretty good progress.]

No comments: