Monday, May 4, 2015

Vecka Trettiofem [Week 35]

Hejssan!

We had a great week out here. There's this holiday out here called Valborgsmässoafton (try having that be your favorite in kindergarten). It's to welcome in the spring and summer, so they take all the old stuff and have a bonfire as well as a choir singing songs. So ours turned into a concert in the almost rain, where there was an a capella group followed by a marching band and then an old man choir. It was pretty cool, and it was fun to see how much Swedish I could get from the songs. We then paraded down to the lake to watch the fire and fireworks. It was really cool and we were able to get good places that were close enough to see the fire and fireworks, but not into the questionable stuff near the fire. We had a great time with a member, his non-member brother, and an investigating friend. The Delgados also came along and had a great time.

We taught this man who was excommunicated on Tuesday and had a great lesson with him. At one point we were talking about happiness and my companion pulled out this whopper of a line: "Lycka är en val" (happiness is a whale). I corrected him right away saying, "Lycka är ett val" (happiness is a choice). It was really funny and we all had a great laugh about it. There were some other funny things said that I can't remember, but it was really cool. Things didn't turn out as planned at all this week, but somehow they worked out.

It was a week of moving. We had a less-active member move out and were helping him with that on Tuesday, and things went relatively smoothly, and the missionaries in his new area helped him move in. Then on Wednesday we were swinging by some people, and saw some people moving a big shelf and offered to help, then got roped in to moving two 6 foot aquariums and a 12 foot aquarium, along with a bunch of other furniture, 3 cat trees (1 cat), and a foosball table. It was lots of heavy lifting. They really needed the help though, and despite being covered in cat hair, we were both very happy we helped along. We also got news that the Delgados will be moving up to Örnsköldsvik with no definite replacement yet. This area will be different without them here.

I found a knitting instructor who is in need of visits. We swung by her this past week and she told me not to forget my needles for next time. We had a great time visiting members this week, and it really was productive and successful. We had a district meeting this week and I was in charge of teaching about organizing and summarizing what to teach (thanks Matt for the study journal). It was cool to share the power that comes from having solid lesson plans, including an experience of going on splits and applying my lesson plans resulting in a baptismal date, and a commitment to baptism. I learned this week though that I need to focus more on the people and loving them than I am right now.

Friday we had a great schedule lined up, then everything was falling through, but an investigator called us and told us she wanted to buy us McDonald's. She got us each a Big Mac and we ate and talked, and she wants to get baptized! Sadly she's pretty far from being ready. But it's cool to see how positive she is. On our way out we got stopped by a Somalian girl and she asked us, "Are you Mormons?" "Yes." "Could you tell us more about your church?" That was crazy!!!! I've never had something like that happen. We got in a great discussion, and they were both really positive, so we got their number, and invited them to church, and they said they'd be there this upcoming Sunday. It was crazy! We realized we were running late, so right as we got out we looked up and the bus was driving to the next stop and we were going to have to run. So I pulled out my best sprint I could muster, and we luckily caught the bus, and made it to a less-active's home only 30 min. late. We set up goals with her, and they are working so far. It was really cool. Sunday came and she was there early, and then a random Somalian guy came in who had a pass-along card that I swear I gave to him back in March. I couldn't say for sure though. We provided a korv and ärtsoppa party after church, and then finished off the Sunday with some good old finding. It was a great week. Hope you all have a great week!

Mvh,

Äldste Liddle


No comments: