Sunday, January 13, 2019

Semana Ochenta y Cinco (Week 85)

I'll try to upload some photos soon. We've dug into the bear [the giant gummy bear we sent for Christmas] and made a couple videos. I was nervous because it smelled like cherry medicine, but when we tasted it, it tastes like some sort of cherry candy that I've had before that's super amazing. We're going kinda slow with it though haha. I've eaten super unhealthy lately due to various circumstances, and one night I wound up with heartburn and hiccups that lasted for 4 hours, so I'm being more careful now. It was crazy! But we have some good plans for eating healthy now.

Eggs are waaay cheaper here, like sometimes 60¢ a dozen or less. Milk varies but seems similar. So that's interesting to note.

Thanks for all the details about stuff. Grandpa Walker would love the airforce museum here, we went there today, but it's so immense that there's no way they could do it all. Even we can't in one Monday. It's super cool though.

The two hour block is weird, but it's pretty good for missionary work. I don't really have troubles staying awake for all 3 hours anymore either haha. I think it's a good change and I love the come follow me program, it's really amazing.

As far as the Red Cross, we haven't been called for anything yet. The way it works is when they get a request to install smoke detectors they call a senior couple in charge who delegates it to the Elders in the corresponding area. As Spanish Elders, I'm expecting fewer calls. But I'll keep an eye on how it goes for my district and let you know how it goes. I have a large district, one of the largest actually, so hopefully there's plenty of opportunities.

This week has been eventful! I finished off the Book of Mormon again, this time in Spanish for my first time cover to cover. New Years was relaxed, but we were still busy with weekly planning and several appointments, including a dinner with a half-Japanese family, which actually included 2 TAs who graded me/taught me a little bit at BYU! They also remembered my music video I made with a few friends in that class haha. So that was funny again. The world is toooo small but I love it. Speaking of which, there's also a Sister Hawkins in our district who used to be roommates with Carly Payne. So yeah, New Years was fun. I also had some time to reflect on how I've changed and who I want to be. I didn't set yearly goals, only a couple 6 month goals.

Wednesday was really amazing with an intense district leader training. I learned a lot and President Welch gave everyone a much needed talk about our potential and where we are. It got everyone really fired up. I then went on a fun exchange with one of the newer missionaries in my district. It was a good opportunity to help him out and also learn about the other Dayton Spanish area. That night, Elder Gonzalez and his temporary companion put one the people we are teaching on date, which is a big step in the direction we want to go!

The next several days we're filled with hard work, biking, walking, driving, and lots of hard work. We are really driven with our goals right now, and we want to make a difference here. Sadly, we're still having a hard time getting people to Church but we've been doing all we can so we're not discouraged. Things are looking really good here!

It was fun to have the first official week of the 2 hour block and to be in a new building on top of that. Also, several families got back in town so it was almost like meeting the branch all over again haha. I really enjoyed it.

Well, I guess that's it for the week. It's been fun but super crazy too! I hope things keep going well back there as well.

Love,

Elder Liddle

No comments: