Frohes neu Jahr! [Happy New Year!]
Ich hoffe dass jeder einen guten Rutsch gehabt hat. (That means I hope everyone has a good slide into the new year.) This week was great. I really enjoyed it. I wished I could have worked more and found more people to teach. We are making progress though in our work and things are going pretty well with [W_____], and his family. I think I jynxed myself when I talked with you all on the phone. I said I hadn't really gotten sick, but this past week I got a pretty bad cold. I had used my inhaler for the first time on my mission. I'm doing okay though and I think I'm doing better.
It's truly great to have a brand new year 2012 ahead of us and we can now work on our new goals. I think it's really great to be able to refocus and stretch ourselves to become something greater. This year I want to work a lot on being optimistic. I think attitude can make or break any situation and determines our happiness. All the goals I have are going to be hard, but I can make it with the help of the Lord. I had the opportunity to give a talk on New Years day. I based it from the Conference, Elder Cook's talk "It is Better to Look Up." We can all look up to the Lord and His atonement to recognize the hope that comes from that. All that is possible is beyond our imagination.
On New Years Eve, it was pretty loud lets say with the fireworks at midnight. (In Germany fireworks are not really restricted at all.) Before we were in earlier and were to think about what we've done this past year and set new goals. It was a marvelous experience. I read through my patriarchal blessing and setting apart, and my father's blessing and I listed all the gifts or blessings I was "blessed to" or "blessed with." I learned to have a new perspective about who I really am. I am a son of God who has divine characteristics to fulfill God's will and work. I then realized every single person is a child of God with unique traits. We all are here for a divine purpose and God loves us. He gives us so much.
This past week I learned to stand as a bold witness of Jesus Christ and to truly serve His children. We don't need to hear what we want to hear; we need to be invited to do those things we need to do to be happy. [W_____] on New Years Eve talked with me and said he'd drink a little bit. I then said don't drink too much. I was then impressed to call him back and tell him to not drink at all, but I was scared because we hadn't taught the Word of Wisdom and I was scared to lose his interest. I realized I needed to call him back and I should have just been bold the first time in explaining to not drink. He actually really respected my sincerity and said he'd probably drink a little anyways. The next day talking to him he told me that he didn't drink anymore after I talked with him. I think I learn over and over that it is better to be trusted than to be loved. I mean that when we do what is right, things will be for the best regardless of the circumstances. I love you all, and I wish you all a happy new year. Go and acheive some great goals this year. God is with us.
Love,
Elder Matthew J. Liddle
No comments:
Post a Comment