Monday, January 16, 2012

Woche Zweiundfünfzig: Hallo von Bamberg [Week 52: Hello from Bamberg]

Guten Tag!  [Good day!]

Wow! This week was an adventure and a crazy one. I learned a lot! I learned from mistakes and a lot of learning has been happening. Last Monday night we set a baptismal date on the 2nd lesson with a man named [G_____]. He disappeared later this week but we'll see if we can contact him again. We also met with [W_____] and his son [C_____]. They are on fire and I felt strongly that we needed to either set a baptismal date on this visit or drop them. [W_____] hates dates, but surprisely we were inspired in how we presented it so he agreed. He'll be baptized on the 4th of February. [C_____] said he would prepare as well for that date, but wouldn't commit just yet. They are loving church though and it's awesome how the members are helping. The whole family doesn't seem ready at this point, but they will be prepared eventually. We'll see what happens as we work hard to try to include them too. It is so funny though we have such an open relationship with [W_____]. He tells us how excited he is now to learn about all of the "new" commandments. Word of Wisdom went well, we just will finish up all the commandments this week, and he could actually be ready for the 28th to be baptized. We'll see how it all goes. He is a big man though, so I hope he asks a bigger man than I to baptize him. We've done a good job with involving the ward so that he'll ask a brother in our Elders Quorum. [C_____] is 15 but acts like a 18 year old. He is a future missionary if he truly wants this. They were even talking about going on Missions at Church this past Sunday. They are on fire! 

Now, on a more challenging note, some not so happy things happened. We found out that [T_____] doesn't want contact with us. We don't know what's up. We have some ideas, but I won't say anything. We are trying to contact him. We're also waiting for a reply from [H_____]. [S1____]'s parents aren't bringing her to church, and it's sad to have 3 less actives of 4 baptisms of the past year. [S2____] just got back though, and he's on fire and is already starting to exercise his priesthood responsibilities! We are excited and will take special care with him. Although, I feel we did everything we could for these 4 people, I am saddened. I have learned a lot. I take baptism very seriously and I make a special effort to talk about how hard baptism will be, and that Enduring to the End is the most important part. It taught me to prepare people better. 

We have been having a challenge to find investigators lately, but I realized if we want to find investigators like we did in the past, we need to spend more time where more people are. That makes great sense. We were doing more doors lately, but when you can talk with more poeple on the street in an hour than by doing doors, the probability is less that we'll find someone doing doors. It is often better to do more street contacting. That's how I've found most investigators on my mission. Doors has it's advantage too, but street contacting in Downtown Bamberg is awesome. This week I got to re-learn so many things like these plain and simple truths because I was making mistakes and not always following the Spirit. Luckily we can repent and make things awesome again. I'm excited for the next 2 weeks where we'll really focus on street contacting in the downtown area. This week, we had an awesome couple of meetings and I learned a lot. It was a spiritual week, and full of its challenges. When we follow God, His Spirit, and His commandments, we are happy. I experienced that this week. I love you all, and wish you all a great week. I'm glad everyone's doing well. Mike, finish that Eagle, if you aren't finished. The work is tedious and challenging sometimes, but rewarding. I love you all.

Alles Gute, [Best wishes,]

Elder Matthew J. Liddle

No comments: