Sunday, July 29, 2018

Semana Cincuenta y Ocho (Week 58)

That's fun that you had James again! I bet he was so happy! So does Rose still work for Family Search? That's also cool that you get to be in Activity Days! I would love that, but I'm not a woman. Maybe Scouts or Cub Scouts is in my future. Elder Hayes and I played piano for Primary yesterday. He was the top hand and I was the bottom; it was so much fun! I would love that calling, though I would have to practice a lot haha. Primary is the best! 

We also had some other really cool experiences this week! Saturday we had a missionary car wash! Elder Hayes and I were giving chapel tours while others washed cars and waved signs to advertise. We had several people in each position, and I got to be in each one for at least a little. We spent an hour in the 90+ degree heat in our proselyting clothes waving signs. My specialty move is the heel click in the air, at the very least they notice me and smile haha. It was super fun. The chapel tours were also really spiritual and it was an amazing experience to be able to do that! 

My studies have been really good this week. I'm trying to improve my diligence, my drive, and my obedience, especially through charity and humility. It's been really cool; I've learned some good stuff from the scriptures. I've finally decided to read the Book of Mormon all the way through in Spanish. I haven't in the past because it didn't seem necessary, but I'm at the point where I can understand 90%, and I'm learning a lot from the more advanced grammar that it uses. It's pretty cool, and reading in another language has also helped me have some unique insights that I would never have noticed. 2 Nefi 2:26 was particularly impressive to me: because of Christ we stay free. We have agency, but after the fall men were condemned to a fallen state, which would eventually lead to misery. Because of Christ we maintain our agency to choose our destiny, which leads in to the next verse, "...y son libres para escoger la libertad y la vida eterna, por medio del Gran Mediador de todos los hombres..." [...and they are free to choose liberty and eternal life, through the Great Mediator of all mankind...]  I have really enjoyed it. I'm also trying to really take advantage of my language studies. I could be a lot better than I am but I didn't study super well always. I'm repenting of that and working on improving my grammar and knowledge. 

Friday Alma took us to lunch, and then we stopped by for a few minutes at an art show that her daughter, Abi, had made some things in. It was photography, and she learned how to develop film and everything. I talked about how grandpa does that. It was cool. She explained to us a little bit of the process. And she's 11! She's awesome. I'm so glad Elder Gonzalez [and I?] were able to help her towards baptism. 

Later that night we helped a member who is temporarily her [here?] move some stuff, and then he came out teaching with us. Nothing much happened, but it was just great to have a night where a member is with us for the whole time. 

So the car wash day was also insane because we got started at 8. We went to teach S____, this super awesome lady who loves the church, after which we had meetings until the car wash started. Then right after we went to visit a HondureƱan [Honduran] family, and they are super cool! They're a member family sealed in the temple, but they haven't been to church for a few months, since they moved here. Hopefully they will be coming to our ward! I'm super excited, because a full strong family of hispanos will help us a lot. They're going to feed us HondureƱan food sometime too. :)

Sunday was still awesome even without Primary. We taught S____ again; she asks tons of questions and it can be hard to stay on track, but she is so accepting of everything! She also loves to read, and I told her that reading the Book of Mormon is the most important right now, and it sounds like she really wants to know for herself! I'm super excited for her. She's really promising.

We also taught another family and afterwards one of the daughters needed help with math, so that skill came in handy too! I accidentally taught her a concept that apparently she will learn several days later, but in my mind it's easier to do the other part with this in mind. So yeah. I totally have forgotten most of calculus though. I just remember the basics.

You would be proud, Mom, I went to Joann's for the second time today and got some faux leather looking stuff and it was only 82¢. Sales! I think I'm going to use it to make this mini scripture set that is somewhat popular in our mission. The mini New Testament, Book of Mormon, and Doctrine and Covenants fits in a 1" binder perfectly, so if you use leather and everything it looks super good! So sometime I'll be ordering the mini scriptures that I need for that. Did I mention that I'm excited about the fun/awesome/spiritual things happening!? I also want to learn how to knit, but I wonder how much I would actually get the chance to use it. But a starter kit is as low as $12. I think I'll hold off until I get some of this other stuff done haha. I'm also trying to cook more, and it's turned out pretty well. Sometimes I over-season things, but I usually make something delicious. One step at a time! We also have about a hundred corn dogs we were given so there's that too. I found out a while back that sourdough bread makes the best sandwiches, and it can last several weeks without going bad! I also decided that generally I like humidity. Just when I'm doing exercise things in my shirt and tie it's a bit... Sweatier. I'm enjoying myself a ton out here. I hope everyone is doing well back there too.

So I'm doing well temporally and having fun, and I'm striving to grow spiritually, and I've loved both aspects of it! One of the coolest things I've noticed is that basically everything in Preach My Gospel pertains to everyone! It's only very tiny details that don't (such as the full time thing, and planners). So I would encourage you to read it when you get the chance! It's so good!

I love you, Mom. Thanks for still writing me even with the busyness of life. I hope you enjoy what I wrote; I tried to get a little of everything. Let me know if you have any questions!

Love,

Elder Liddle

No comments: