Sunday, July 29, 2018

Semana Cincuenta y Siete (Week 57)

That's cool that [recently returned missionary cousin] Thomas gave such a good report! I have a lot of respect for him, and I'm glad to hear he's well! And that's hilarious that [cousin] Quincy came back with you; does that mean that Julie is taking some time off work? They are a pretty good duo.

114 degrees! [In Phoenix.] That's insane! I've seen 106 on the car thermometer, but that's just from being in the sun or something, it always drops significantly as we get going. Everyone talks about humid heat being worse, but I disagree. Dry heat just sucks all the water out of you.

I don't know what else to say now. I'm trying to still improve, stay humble, love others, and accept change as best I can. I feel very happy about the path I'm on, and I know I need to make some changes still (who doesn't?) but I feel like I'm on the right track. Time is flying so fast too, and I'm learning a ton about who I want to be and how I should live. I've started to see the need for manners especially haha. All those times you told me not to lick the plate are starting to kick in. Starting. [The Editor exclaims: finally!] But I'm glad you taught us things like that; it really helps. I want to represent Christ well, and often I feel like I do. I've been trained to know how to control myself, and act in a manner that fits a priesthood holder. Though there is still a ton of learning to do with that haha, after all, my brain is still developing. [That's correct: until your mid-20's, son.] What a great time to be out on a mission, while I'm still so malleable! Though I firmly believe that anyone can change patterns of thought and belief, but often it's only through Jesus Christ that we can do so. I love my Savior and am very grateful to Him. I'm also very grateful to you and Mom for teaching me about Him and how to follow Him.

Love,

Elder Liddle

I hope the grandparents are doing well.

I'm glad the Arizona trip was so good! It's crazy how small a world it is, that's cool to hear about Jane! [Cousin who just happened to move into his other cousins' ward in Scottsdale.] It sounds like Chris and his family are doing well, and I'm glad Thomas is doing well also! That restaurant reminds me of one here called Mezunte; they do the tostada thing and it's really good.

I guess I'll talk a little about my investigators. First, A____ was doing super well this week! He wants a more knowledge-based belief of the Book of Mormon, we kinda tried to explain that to him, but basically he wants to read it all and take what's good. I wish he could learn that by faith and prayer, even if he doesn't read the whole thing. But he will get there, and if that's what it takes then I'm fine with it. He's out of town for a month though; I'll miss him a lot because I've never been able to be so bold with someone without worrying I'll offend them! He's so amazing in that sense! I've been able to teach very clearly I believe. We also have a new investigator named S____ and she already seems to believe it's the true church. Brother Palacios takes us to a Mexican restaurant a lot (he's convinced that's where we will find, and he might be right), and we met S____. She investigated when she was 12, so she knows a little about the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith, and she's super open and smart! We taught her and we ended up going through almost all the first 2 lessons with her, and she was asking questions and making comments like "so that's why ____ said ___ in the Bible!" It was super cool. She also came to church, thought it was amazing, and basically said she wants to be baptized! She is super cool. Those are the main 2 people I get excited about visiting, and they are awesome! I've developed a lot of love for them. Right after that lesson with S____, we went to the baptism of a man the Cincinnati elders were teaching, and it was a great experience. He is a 500lb blind man, and he has a heart of gold.

We're seeing lots of miracles and I'm growing a lot as a person. I'm still a long ways away, but I'll get there. The gospel is amazing in that way. We also got an updated Preach My Gospel! It's nothing too different, but a few lesson points have changed, and it's so cool! I love being led by a living prophet. It's such a blessing. Also having a mission president is pretty great too! I'm really blessed to be where I am right now. It's the best place on earth for a missionary, though I guess that any place is the best on earth for a missionary. President Welch often quotes a scripture relating to that. 

I love you Mom! 

Elder Liddle

No comments: