Monday, December 3, 2018

Semana Ochenta (Week 80)

This week was great! I've been polishing up some things with Spanish (now I just need to practice applying them, that's the tricky part!) and I feel like I have a good grasp of grammar right now. I can basically understand whatever I need to, and often without even focusing too much, though there are certain situations and accents that are still tricky. I love seeing how far I've come though. With Elder Robertson in training we have extra study time, and I'm probably learning just as much as him. There's always something to brush up on or improve or fix or start doing. I like it a lot.

I learned a very important lesson this week that I have learned in the past, but I guess I needed to relearn. We taught one lady twice, both times about the plan of salvation (at her request) and we answered many questions. I may have gone a bit too far in depth, though we aren't so sure (I told her about exaltation, which is in Preach My Gospel now, but I'm not sure I worded it correctly for her situation). I realized that we weren't focusing on the Book of Mormon enough. She originally told us that she had read it (with enough ambiguity to mean that maybe not all of it), and I kind of assumed she understood it fairly well. I was mistaken, and now we are seeing the clear need for her to understand the Book of Mormon. She still seems to see it as a competing with the Bible, which couldn't be further from the truth! The Book of Mormon is the strongest testimony of the Bible in existence. If the Book of Mormon is true, then Jesus Christ really did come and the Bible is true as far as it is translated correctly. I am reading in 3 Nephi and it's beautiful how it supports the Bible so well, I compared Matthew 5-7 with 3 Nephi and it's spectacular to see how they work together! So that was an amazing lesson to me.

Speaking of scripture study, it's been amazing. I've learned much more about the sacrament from 3 Nephi 18, and I've grown to understand the Atonement of Jesus Christ much more as I've read of His ministry in the Americas. It's beautiful beyond what I can express.

I also had the wonderful opportunity of giving baptismal interviews to two young girls, and it was a spiritual experience as always. I love how simple the questions are. Even a child can understand it enough to be worthy. I really love giving those interviews.

I've also had the privilege of becoming reacquainted with some people I met last time I was here, and it was cool to see how things are different yet the same, and how I've had an influence here and have another chance to help make Northern Kentucky an even more awesome place!

One of my favorite experiences this week was watching the Christmas devotional with a struggling family here. It was a tender experience, and I could see the Spirit working with them, particularly when the prophet spoke. It was amazing, and I felt great comfort from his words as well. I can't get enough of what President Nelson has to say. It's an exciting time to be a Latter-day Saint.

I also tried making pupusas. They were weird because I didn't have a particularly good filling, nor did I have the fixings to go with them, but I enjoyed myself. There's been a lot of awesome things happening and I'm excited to see more happen this coming week!

I love you tons!

Love,

Elder Liddle


No comments: