Sunday, May 12, 2019

Semana Noventa y Cuatro (Week 94)

This week was pretty stellar for me. I keep telling this story, but it's so awesome that I need to tell it again. But then I will probably stop telling it because I've told it too much. So we are teaching a woman named M____ (yes, it's spelled without the 'e') and her mom, B____. On Sunday M____ came to Church and absolutely loved it, and we had a lesson afterwards where we invited her to be baptized. She said something like, "Yeah, I was thinking about being baptized next year or so." and we said "Actually, you're basically ready to be baptized now! We were thinking the end of the month." At first she was a bit hesitant, even to set that as a goal for her, but we talked about what it would mean if she got an answer that the Book of Mormon is true. She told us she would pray for an answer every day, but didn't quite accept a date. However, a couple days later we met with her, her mom, and a member who met her at church. As the member told her conversion story, it included something similar to what just happened where she was invited to be baptized and it was way sooner than she thought. M____ talked about how we did the same thing and that she's praying about it and if she receives an answer that she will be baptized on March 30th! We were so stoked! She accepted the date we extended, and it's very likely that she reaches it! The member finished her awesome story and used a great analogy. "What's your favorite food?" "I like Chinese food." "If you have a plate of Chinese food, do you need to eat it all to know that it's good or do you just have to taste it?" "Well, I only need a taste to know it's good." "Exactly, it's like that with the Church." It was so good! M____ went on to tell her mom about how she should come to Church because she'll really like it and so on and so forth. It was a great experience.

Another thing is my new favorite language study tool - English fasts! I heard about them in the MTC and I would occasionally talk in Spanish with my companions, but generally we didn't because we're in the US. However, Elder Smith and I do English fasts twice a week and sometimes more, and my language ability has gotten a lot better! Just yesterday, we were in an appointment that was all in Spanish (despite some bilingual people) and afterwards we kept switching back to Spanish because it just felt right.

We got fed some awesome food this week. First, I replaced the butter in my biscuit recipe with applesauce. It needs some fine-tuning but it's pretty good so far. We got fed delicious pupusas and we got some tips on how to make them better. We also got amazing tacos, and Peruvian mashed potatoes. It all sounds fairly normal, but it was absolutely amazing.

We had interviews this week and I really enjoyed spending some time with President and Sister Welch. They remind me of my own parents, with some obvious differences (They are both much shorter for one). I'm very grateful and blessed to be able to serve with them.

Last thing, I found out that being bold usually doesn't seem to offend people, they tend to take it very well. We just need to be clear. Cut the fluff, don't get lost in the sauce. It's easier, and they understand much better. And it's much easier to accept our message if you know what it is.

Love,

Elder Liddle

No comments: